- Other than failing to convince
the very select few fans (see *PID/PWR) who suspected a switch, he
(a taller, thinner-faced, bigger-headed, larger-footed, broader-shouldered, straighter-legged
imposter with a higher vocal range . . . . . who, unlike the original, was
an occult-dabbling, tight-fisted prima donna and generally -
a "real wanker!"), clandestinely assumed the role of "replacement" for one of
the most famous individuals in popular music who had allegedly
met with an untimely end - effectively managing to deceive millions of
his fans, even to this very day!
- Supposedly managed to get himself
invited to Jane Asher's engagement party (the person making the
claim conveniently never mentioning if the "real" Paul ever shows up -
to his own engagement party!) - even Linda Eastman was there!
That reporter, WABC New York radio-DJ Roby Yonge, who claimed
that he saw there a 'Paul McCartney look-alike' - subsequently
promoted the (apparently-related) story on-air that JPM had died in a car wreck!
- The above report notwithstanding, he,
Faul, married the very same Linda - not Jane - and in a possible concerted
and ongoing effort to reform, correct and sanitize the potentially-damaging
perception of his predecessor's (a.k.a. Paul "The Bull" McCartney) eploits,
as well as his reputation as, according to John Lennon, a "sexual gladiator,"
- managed to remain in a monogamous state of matrimony for more than
- Learned to sing and play a large repetoire of
Beatle songs which required the ability to master
challenging bass lines (i.e. the 'middle-eight' of Don't Let Me Down etc etc),
fairly intricate piano and guitar accompaniments (Martha My Dear/Blackbird/Mother Nature's Son) -
even taking over lead-guitar duties from the likes of George Harrison (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window) - as well as playing the drums competently
(overdubbing some of Ringo's drum tracks on the White Album) . . . . . but what is even more remarkable -
learning to do it all left-handed (rather than right)!
- Moreover . . . . .
effectively impersonated the unique voice, looks and mannerisms of a high-profile
pop-idol, and arguably, one of the most-recognized "personalities" on earth -
and continues to do so to this day -
actively writing, recording and performing . . . . . expanding exponentially upon the legacy
of the individual he replaced - all that while raising a family of four children and
actively campaigning for various causes such as vegetarianism, PETA, abolition of land-mines,
and ending the annual slaughter of baby seals etc etc.
- Nothing exceeds like excess . . . . .
in addition to branching out into the fields of orchestral composition, photography,
literature, cinema, children's animation and graphic design -
and in what might otherwise be termed a case of "Forgery by proxy"
Faul has now expanded into the art arena (Painting - that is!), recently exhibiting an impressive
output of his large, brightly-coloured canvasses (that Ringo may still not want to buy!)
- one event being attended by Queen Elizabeth herself!
- Fooled Paul's old friends and family: i.e. brother Michael,
dad, John's son Julian, old Hamburg buddies like Astrid Kirchherr and Klaus Voorman,
old girlfriends like Dot Rhone, fellow-performers such as Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Sting,
Bono etc., and former teachers and schoolmates from the exclusive high school (Liverpool Institute)
that he once attended and that he now sponsors etc etc etc.
- Must have also been the "Man of a Thousand Voices" since
it turns out that Faul, like Paul, is not only a great Elvis impersonator, but a great
Buddy Holly and Little Richard impersonator as well!
- Tricked Paul's dog Martha into believing that he
- Seemingly intent on expanding upon the reputation of,
and drawing even greater media attention (if that were possible)
toward, the individual he was merely a "substitute" for - engaged in a pro-active campaign to
transition his image from one of the moptop "Fab Four" lads from Liverpool to that of
de-facto agent of Eastern Mysticism and Psychedelia.
Not only was his involvement with Transendental Meditation - through his pilgrimage to India -
highly publicized, but when he appeared in a television interview with a BBC correspondent admitting -
reluctantly (it seemed!) - that he had used LSD - the whole world,
according to bandmate George Harrison, "went crazy!"
- When being confronted by the media with questions
as to his true identity, or, for that matter, when being questioned (by, admittedly, obnoxious journalists)
as to the authenticity of his claim to be the individual who he presents himself to be
- Faul seems to have adopted a reactionary, pro-active policy of either "bird-flipping" (er,
uh - giving the finger), mock-shaving with his hand-held microphone (simulating shaving with an
electric razor), "baa-baaa-ing" ... in an insulting way (to the "sheeple") reporters/interviewers,
or just abruptly cutting off the interview entirely - "baaaa-ing" even more as he makes his exit!
(OR - All of the above!) Even Paul himself might have found this outrageous little slapstick routine
hilariously funny - if he were still alive, that is!
- Wrote a song naming some of his - well, Paul's -
immediate relatives - some by their familiar names i.e. "Auntie Jin" etc. . . . .
also appeared (on film in the mid-1970's) with a large contingent of the extended
McCartney family in a Liverpool pub where he would need to recognize -
and be able to convincingly interact and converse with - all his aunts, uncles,
cousins, nephews, nieces and in-laws (Now that's really hiding in plain sight!).
- Upon returning from what was regarded, in some quarters, at least,
to be a rather myterious journey to Africa (esp. since he was accompanied by only his
"roadie" Mal Evans, and where he was reportedly even hospitalized for a time) -
he fired his longtime housekeeper . . . . .
he would subsequently return to Africa during a publicized Cholera outbreak
(at the expense of losing 2 of his bandmates - not to disease, they simply refused to
go!) to record the first album with his new group Wings!
- Apparently knew and could relate several anecdotal
details about the Beatles in Hamburg - and about John and George, in particular,
as far back as when they first met and began writing and playing together in Liverpool
. . . . . any perceived inaccuracies, slip-ups, creative embellishments or even, on occasion,
what was believed to be a wholesale tampering of known facts - conveniently being chalked-up to
his penchant for "Changing history!"
- Not only managed to gain 2 inches in height after the age of 24,
but subsequently (and within an amazingly
short span of time), this remarkable "growth-spurt" was inexplicably reversed,
and losing 2 inches in height - he shrank back to the same height as Paul!
- Was a "born" showman as well as a great PR guy who had
great charisma and personal charm combined with a cheeky sense of humor - just like Paul!
- Although right handed, he very quickly - practically overnight even -
learned to do everything (write, throw a ball, use scissors, pick up a fork, cut with a knife, use
chopsticks, open a bottle etc etc) left-handed - so to the casual or even critical observer there
would be no question (with the exception of an occasional relapse i.e. smoking,
grabbing an object in "Help," playing guitar in India etc. with his right hand)
as to the fact that he was truly - if not actually - a southpaw!
- Not only looked like Paul (including the scar on his left upper
lip and his left eyebrow as well as a fake left upper front tooth!) but sounded and spoke just
like him . . . . . moreover, could do much more than merely pass for a good double - both appearing and
acting like his predecessor in all public, social and first-hand
(the inclusion of conversational German in interviews, a smattering of French, 'put-on'
American accent i.e. humorous Michael Jackson/Muhammed Ali impersonations etc. - All, no problem!).
- Mastered not just a passable British way of
speaking generally - but Scouse - a distinctly Liverpudlian accent specifically
(not to mention the occasional dialectical foray into a lilting Irish - or heavier
Scottish - brogue!) . . . . . his previous training as, reportedly,
an Ontario policeman - surely helped to ease
the transition over from his nifty Canadian accent!
- Has put his predecessor in somewhat of a compromising position
with respect to his legacy and place in popular music history - by exponentially (owing to
the sheer numerosity of his output) grafting his own "junk" compositions onto the
previously-existing body of the Lennon-McCartney catalogue - in the process doing nothing
to dispel (only lend credence to) the widely-held and popular impression that not only did
John write the best of the Beatles tunes, and was a better composer overall
- but that he, John, and not Paul, was really the heart and soul of the Beatles!
(i.e. "Everyone knows John's the one with all the talent and Paul's the window dressing."
- Heather Mills)
- In the course of fulfilling his job-description of impersonating
one of the most famous and talented musicians of the day (to protect the secret that he had
met an untimely end),
successfully conveyed the impression that playing the intricate bass
parts of his songs was easy - even fun -
especially having to do so with your opposite hand and while singing! Bravo!
(Famously appeared with John, George and Ringo in concert on the
rooftop of Abbey Road Studios - remarkably looking and sounding as though he had been performing
and singing with the Beatles for years!)
- Received the distinction of being knighted by Queen Elizabeth II
- effectively being promoted to Sir James Paul McCartney, MBE, Hon RAM, FRCM
(Member of the Order of the British Empire).
- Listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as
"the Most Successful Musician and Composer in Popular Music History" -
his Honors and Awards received also include:
- the Ultimate Legend Award - 2008
- 17 individual Grammy Awards plus a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
- 7 individual BRIT Awards plus 1 Classic Brit Award
- the MusiCares Person of the Year award 2012
- 10th Anniversary VegfestUK 'Best Individual Achievement of the Decade'
- 1 MTV Video Music Award and 1 MTV Europe Music Award
- 2 Q Awards (Q Magazine)
- 2 American Music Awards
- Honorary Doctorate of Music from Yale University
- Polar Music Prize Inductee
- Honorary Doctorate of Music from University of Sussex
- Recipient Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song 2010
- Honoree Kennedy Center Awards 2010
- Légion d'Honneur for Service to Music
- 11th on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers of All Time list
- 1st on the 100 Greatest Artists of All-Time (Beatles)
- twice inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Allegedly utilized - and was supposedly discovered
at certain times using - some of the following tools, techniques and
"tricks of the trade" in his arsenal of deception:
a false nose tip, tinted contact lenses to change his eye colour, phony eyebrows
and the now-famous (infamous) fake-moustache, and even a latex mask and ear attachments
- and, of course, the growing of a beard early-on,
ostensibley to hide some of the tell-tale scars of the plastic surgery
the Faul Factor
* The PID ( Paul is Dead ) and PWR ( Paul was Replaced ) theories
purport that Paul McCartney died in 1966 and that an imposter was enlisted to take
his place (acting as his double), and that the other Beatles, despite being coerced
to play along with the deception, left numerous clues alerting their fans to the hoax.